Has Hunger ever changed your mood?

We’ve all heard of the saying ” You are what you eat” and “Let food be thy medicine….” but what if what you eat was dramatically changing the way you think as well!

Well it turns out to be true! You gut is basically acting as a second brain!

Your gut, and the rest of your body for that matter, has a lot of microbes living in it. In fact 90 % of the cells in your body are microbes and you actually make up the final 10 %. These microbes in your gut have a significant affect on your health. The bacteria in your gut know as the microbiota is responsible for helping digest healthy food and releasing necessary vitamins and hormones into a body. A diverse microbiota is needed for a healthy lifestyle and there are many factors that effect this diversity from medicines from antibiotics which also kill good bacteria to even the manner we were conceived at birth.

Thats right, some of you may know that bacteria is not only good for us but essential for our survival and s opening up a lot of avenues for curing as sorts of diseases. This means the types of bacteria in our large intestines could lets say having a significant contribution to diseases such as osteoporosis.

But how can this change our thought?

Experiments with mice have taken place where mice have been colonised by a microbe called Toxoplasma Gondii. This changes the mice’s thoughts and actually made the attracted to cats!! Obviuosly not good for mice but shows the power of the microbes that are in us.

It is also true that the belly and the brain are connected together by the Vegus nerve. The Vegus nerve has a two-way transition process send signals both ways. Also which is interesting, Serotonin which is the neurotransmitter that makes us feel happy, 90% of its production is in the gut leaving only the remaining 10% to the brain! Could this explain our “gut feelings”

Take a listen to Ruoiri Robertson’s short TedX talk were he explains research done into this field.

 

All this could lead to major developments in the cure for people with unexplained chronic conditions. Microbiota of one person can now be changed by putting the microbiota of some else into their gut. Also the food which we eat will have a dramatic effect on our microbiota.

Foods listed as been good for the microbiota are

-Whole grains, seeds, apples, leaks, artichokes, root veg, beans, lentils, chickpeas, nuts, honey, asparagus, banana garlic and onions and the list doesn’t end there!

Thanks for reading this post and if you found it interesting or useful please pass it on to someone else who might

James Grogan

Sign up for free pain advice!

Join our mailing list to receive the latest pain relief news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!